This humorous list was written by Marion Boddy-Evans. These are my favourites from her list of 50 signs…
You Must Be An Artist If …
- You stay awake late at night wondering how to render on canvas the dimly lit shapes and the shadows in your room.
- You carry pencils instead of pens.
- You were more concerned about the colour of your car than the fuel consumption
- The highlights in your hair are from your palette and not Clairol.
- You butter your toast with your fingers, just to feel its texture.
- You are over age 50 and still have no health insurance.
- You know what shade of green the lichen on the trees is.
- You’re late for a date because you suddenly knew exactly what that detail of your latest painting needed and just had to fix it while it was fresh in your mind.
- You know more than 28 colours.
- You paint more than you talk.
- You chose to buy that new Russian Sable Number Six Round Brush instead of a Big Mac, a large fry, a milkshake, dessert, and five gallons of petrol.
- You explain your deplorably bad housekeeping by saying, “it’s a work-in-progress…”
- You do judge a book by its cover.
- You purchase a ton of books, and most are blank inside.
- You bought paint instead of food!
- You’re in love … with your studio.
- You think colors look good together that other people don’t.
- You draw all the time – even without pencil or pen – just with your eyes.
- You never look at a person’s face as a whole. You break it up into shadows and values, lines and shapes, and think how they would look on a canvas.
- There are Prussian blue fingerprints on your phone.
That last one is my favourite! The Full list of 50 signs, viewable at: