He who animated the pictures on the Monty Python shows, who filmed “Brazil”, “Time Bandits”, “The Fisher King”, “the Adventures of Baron Munchausen”…. lo he speaketh.
Long story long, there is his autobiography, which he calls his “me-me-me-memoir” and published 4 months ago. (Judging by which he is beginning to look like Orson Welles…)
Or long story shorter, here are his 10 tips based on what worked for him:
- Growing up is for losers
- Film School is for fools
- Auteurism is out, fil-teurism is in
- Put your ideas in a drawer. Take them out as needed.
- All you’ve really got in life is story
- Command the audience with your lens
- Nothing can defeat a director who is one with his actors
- Surround yourself with improvisers
- Directing is not for the faint-of-heart. Or the sane.
- Be an enlightened despot
Ah – but what do all those mystical soundbites mean?
Full story an explanation is over at the article from which these 10 ideas were extracted, in Filmmaker: